Thursday, August 20, 2015

Do Prescription Drugs Get Into Drinking Water?

Pure clean drinking water seems like it would be fairly easy to find in the United States. As plentiful as water is, and usually free of charge at that, sometimes it’s anything but pure and clean.

According to several studies, American drinking water can contain trace amounts of pharmaceutical drugs, including 

antibiotics, hormones, mood stabilizers, and other drugs.
“A new study in the journal Environmental Pollution, was obtained by The New Republic. Conducted by the Environmental Protection Agency, it is the largest study of water coming out of wastewater treatment plants.

It looked at samples from 50 large-size wastewater treatment plants nationwide and tested for 56 drugs including oxycodone, high-blood pressure medications, and over-the-counter drugs like Tylenol and ibuprofen.

More than half the samples tested positive for at least 25 of the drugs monitored, the study said. High blood pressure medications appeared in the highest concentrations and most frequently.

One reason for the higher numbers is better technology, which can trace drugs at smaller amounts. But it’s also because we’re taking more drugs than ever, from over-the-counter medications for headaches to prescription medications for depression, acid reflux, and high blood pressure.

According to a Mayo Clinic study released in June, nearly 70 percent of Americans take one prescription drug, up from 48 percent in 2007-2008.”

Whether the source of the problem is from unused medication being flushed down the toilet or from the residual amounts of drugs in urine of people taking these drugs, they are getting into the drinking water.

Wastewater treatment plants are designed to treat biological waste only. Their original intent was not to handle things such as pharmaceutical drugs and over the counter vitamins and supplements getting into the drinking water stream.

The trace amounts of each of these drugs may not, in itself, be enough to be anything substantial, but trace amounts of all of them together pose a significant health problem, especially since some drugs have negative interactions with others.

As you are in a position to dispose of unused or unwanted medication, choose a reputable drop-off location to ensure proper treatment of these drugs.

For more information on waste and recycling visit www.wasteawaygroup.com.

newrepublic.com
webmd.com
consumer-health.com
foxnews.com

2 comments:

  1. What a Miraculous Recovery!!!
    I will always remember you on this day Dr
    I was totally convinced before I could finished you medicine prepared for me for my Herpes. By Dr. Odey Abang,
    It was actually a sad incident and a painful soles still appearing and was still using the ancylovia ..
    All I was concerned was the perfect cure. Went to seerch about natural remedies for Herpes, then, I came across a comment of a lady who posted how she was cured from 7 years diagnosed of herpes and and much others with Dr. Odey Abang.
    I thought about it and decided to try for my health. I was willing to pay anything to get cured.
    Surprising, my cures came just as soon as I purchased his herbal remedies and sent to me through the DHL.
    I was guid by the doctor on how to apply.
    I felt so relieved a couple of days I used the medicine and could understand the reaction each time I took in the medicine.
    On my last bottle, I was totally convinced, I could see no sole in me and my habitat was good for my taste.
    I went to the hospital and my doctor confirmed me herpes negative. It's over a month now still showing negative.
    This is my life story and I'm using this to thank all those posting about Dr. Odey Abang for his cures and help for total cures
    His medicine are very effective, 100% qurantee with active immune booster.
    Contact him directly

    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    for you're cure to
    Herpes, HIV/Aids, Diabetes, infertility, irregular mesturatio, Fibroid, etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr VOODOO cure me from HSV1&2 with his herbs, I was nervous when i first contact him about the cure for HSV but i decided to give him a try because i was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV. Dr VOODOO prepared the remedy and sent it to me through UPS,which I use just the way Dr VOODOO instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary to this cure and I went back to the hospital after 7 days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV1&2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr VOODOO took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HPV. Dr VOODOO heals with natural herbs. Please I urge you to contact him now through his email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2348140120719. He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete